Hi! This blog will outline my journey, thoughts, comparisons, rants, raves, and otherwise bloggy like material on my switch from a Windows based PC to an iMac at work.

See The Beginning to get started.

Friday, September 3, 2010

Headphones vs. Speakers

Seriously Apple.... What is up with the inability to toggle sound output sources.

Okay. Here is the deal. I am using my iMac at work. Generally, I use headphones but at night and on weekends I like to use the speakers. The iMac internal speakers are pretty awesome. I like them.

Sound Panel
However, there is not a way to toggle between the output sources. There is even a screen that makes it looks like this is possible (prefs - sound) but when you plug in headphones then all other options go away.

So I have to plug the headphones in and out everytime I want to use them. Now this isn't that big of a deal except that Apple made the headphone port in an inconvenient location. I have to reach behind the system or turn it around in order to find the correct port. I don't get it.

I searched the issue thinking that I had to be in error. It turns out that that I was not in error ... sadly. In fact, I found complaints dating back up to 5 years. Really Apple? You can't fix this issue? It turns out that the most preffered fix is to buy this thing called the iMic by Griffin which plugs into the USB port. This provides two more jacks via USB. Then you have to use a special piece of software to control the outputs. All of which cost ridiculous money ... like everything else with Apple products.

I don't know. Some of you may think this is nitpicking but I find it to be an unnecessary annoyance. Put the headphone jack in a convenient location or give me a toggle switch or something. It is not that big of a deal and something that most Windows systems have had for years and years.

I think I will save my cash and just plug the jack in when I need it .. or maybe just hook up the speakers with my old system and split the signal... starting to lose the beauty of the minimalistic design.

2 comments:

  1. you are using it wrong... just tape the speakers to your head and lower the volume.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The speakers are built into the monitor ... that might be kind of difficult .... but I am probably using it wrong. I should email Lord Jobs.

    ReplyDelete