Hi! This blog will outline my journey, thoughts, comparisons, rants, raves, and otherwise bloggy like material on my switch from a Windows based PC to an iMac at work.

See The Beginning to get started.

Monday, September 20, 2010

Expelliarmus!

I hear the word echo as the mighty mouse flies from my hand and on the floor. I watch it squirm for a second as the little red glow under its belly dies out. I look around for the culprit savior of my woes with the Mighty Mouse and who should I find sitting in the spot once held by the mighty?

Enter ... the Magic Mouse. Armed with an arsenal of spells and a bag of tricks, I was immediately overwhelmed with the simple yet complex nature of this new creature. At first glance it doesn't seem like much .. no buttons to speak of and no scroll wheel... Okay enough of that.

Really though ... the Mighty Mouse was awful and was so glad to be rid of it. Maybe it was awesome like 10 years ago when it came out but today it is barely a step up from offering a mouse with an actual ball in bottom. Right click was terrible and tracking was awful. It was getting replaced one way or another.

The magic mouse is a whole new beast though. It looks like a hovering sports car from the future. Sleek, tiny, aerodynamic,  with simply curves. Sexy. Yes .. I called a mouse sexy. My first thought was this is going to be a pain to use. It is too small, no ergonomics and where was my tactile feedback for scrolling and such.

I began using it and it wasn't so bad. At first scrolling was a little awkward but I quickly got used to it and adjusted the sensitivity to my needs. The tracking is excellent. It is very smooth, responsive, accurate, fast, and works on almost any surface.

However, I quickly found out the mouse was very limited. It could only perform a few functions. Left/Rick Click, 360 scroll, and back/forward..... see anything missing?

How about a middle click ... it doesn't exist? WTF. Then I came across an app called Magic Prefs that opens the magic mouse to a huge range of possibilities. I can do more actions on this mouse than anything I have ever owned. It is incredible. I was still worried about daily use though and feared it would hurt my hands/wrists after long use.

I find this has not been the case. I can hold it a few different ways and since the whole back is touchable it can just reach over and lightly pet the back like a hamster and magic happens.

I will see how the ergonomics hold up after serveral weeks of use.

Overall, I am impressed with the mouse... much more than I expected to be. Don't get me wrong .. it is no Patronus Charm ... well for some it might be ...

No comments:

Post a Comment