Hi! This blog will outline my journey, thoughts, comparisons, rants, raves, and otherwise bloggy like material on my switch from a Windows based PC to an iMac at work.

See The Beginning to get started.

Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Software & Specs

The iMac should arrive tomorrow.  Okay. so what kind of software do I use everyday.  Here is a quick list ... not in any order.

  • Web Browser (Firefox, Chrome, IE). -  I have some tools that are IE only .. this will be interesting. 
  • SQL Development/Database tools - Mostly for writing quick SQL reports. 
  • MS Office - Yes. I use each one of these. I have some complex spreadsheets and some Access DBs.
    • Word
    • Excel
    • PowerPoint
    • Visio
    • Access
    • Project
  • Email/Calendar - MS Outlook
  • Text Editors - Notepad++ is a favorite
  • Music Player - MediaMonkey, WMP, Pandora
  • IM Client - Trillian Pro
  • FTP Client - Filezilla
  • Adobe Products
    • Acrobat - I create many pdfs some with forms
    • Photoshop - I do some basic photo editing for various reasons
Those are the big ones. There are also some specific tools for our ERP that I use ... not sure how that is going to work either.

Lastly. Computer specs for the nerd in all of us.

Current:
  • Dell Optiplex
  • C2D - 2.13ghz
  • 2gb Ram
  • 3 LCDs spanned (2-19in, 1-17in)
  • ATI X300 .. I think
iMac
  • 21.5in Screen (plus one 19in from old system for dual monitor)
  • Core i5 3.6ghz
  • 8gb Ram
  • ATI 5670 512mb

5 comments:

  1. You will "love" Office on the Mac... hehehe

    ReplyDelete
  2. That does not sound very encouraging ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad I have a front row - or next door - seat to this social(?) experiment! And I promise not to repeat any bad words you say while you are doing this! --Pat

    ReplyDelete
  4. You should be able to set up Wine on your mac and run a lot of the programs you need. There's a list out there of verified programs.

    ReplyDelete